Sunday, October 12, 2008

Horse Burps

Did you know that horses don't burp or vomit? Gee, isn't this information you're just dying to know? Well, it turns out their cardiac sphincter (the valve between the stomach and esophagus) only allows one-way flow.

Hummm. So why did my horse, who always manages to pass obnoxious gas when I'm cleaning his rear feet and haunches, repeatedly burp yesterday?

And how can I incorporate such a tiny detail into one of my stories? My current novel deals with a dragon - I supposed I could make the baby dragon burp tiny balls of flame. Or, pass such noxious gas as to incapacitate the enemy (an ancient version of a stink bomb).

Yes. I must do this. Steggy (my dragon) will have to develop burping or farting as a defence mechanism.

See how easy it is to incorporate an everyday gross occurrence into your story?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

*waves hello!* Hi Maggie! How have you been since the conference? Good luck on your revisions--and I hope you find a way to put in a burping dragon!

Janelle said...

Maggie! I didn't know you had this blog. Now that I know, I look forward to reading more of it! I love the burping dragon idea. What a great use of daily like in your story!