Saturday, August 2, 2008

Old Friends

There was a pleasant surprise waiting for me in my email box the other day. A message from one of my college buddies with addresses to others that were in my "posse." Gosh, I haven't thought about them in a very, very long time. It's not that they're gone from my life, in fact they're a very real part of me. These ladies helped make me who I am today. However, soon after college we scattered around the country, raised families, laughed and cried with the ebbs and flows of life, always hopefully living life to the fullest.

And that makes me smile.

I remember the first day of college, clunking down the all girls dormitory hallway in my cowboy boots my sister had presented me. Meeting my diminutive roommate, Pam, for the first time (there wasn't facebook or even personal computers back in those days.) I was always jealous of her red curly hair that she could cut herself.

Then there was Karin -- the beauty queen who could pick up a chair with her teeth!

Susanne, the actress who participated in every play on campus.

Jan, the super artsy type that makes me totally jealous.

Bunny, the blond bombshell who had to fight off the boys.

Polly, totally in love with Ed, even back then.

Chris, who had everything going for her but didn't know it.

Being the only science major in the group when the boys upstairs played tricks with an eviscerated cat, I laughed while the others screamed. And the peanut butter in the bathroom, pennies in the door jams, panty raids, acting completely goofy while perfectly straight. It was a wonderful time of life. And I would do anything for any one of these gals if they needed. And still would.

Now both my boys are in college - and I wish them the same lasting friendships I was lucky to find with my buddies. For though the years have added characteristic creases around our eyes and possibly a few extra love handles around our waists, we are still the same, carefree people we were over 23 years ago. Older, wiser (hopefully) full of joy and wonder, every day yields another reason to smile.

I'm heading to the basement to drag out an old photo album and relish in some more refined memories.

Oh the things my boys will never know - and all the things their parents will never know.

It's probably much better for everyone this way.

Oops, I feel another gray hair of worry popping up on my head.

2 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

Well put! :0)

Have a happy trip down memory lane!

Christy

Unknown said...

I'll always remember your laugh! And you could always make me smile!