Friday, July 18, 2008

Perfect Pitch

I have been assigned to write a description on how to make a perfect pitch for manuscripts. However, everything I create seems to be wrong. At first I applied the rules given me by Barbara Seuling at one of the SCBWI retreats where she said we need to describe our story in 25 words or less. The ENTIRE story...from beginning to end.That, I have discovered, is not a pitch. It is a wonder 30-second promo for my story - an elevator pitch.And I think that's one of the problems.

I belong to several networking groups and to me, when I wear that hat, an elevator pitch is something that sums up my business, beginning with a customer's need, progressing to a benefit I offer, then finally closing with my ... now what am I supposed to close with?

See how confusing it is? And yet it also appears to be similar (at least in my mind) to a manuscript pitch.For instance, with my printing and promotions business, I can begin my pitch with:Does your small business need quality printing at affordable prices? Business Cards Etc gives you quality printing and promotional items to help your small business succeed for less. Now I'm stuck for a closer.

And I'm at a loss on how to create a catchy pitch for my story. Things like It's a cross between Harry Potter and Elvis Presley at a shuttle launching where an alien eats the rocket fuel.

HUH?

I've broken down and ordered a book - Making the Perfect Pitch by Katherine Sands. It's been recommended to my by several authors so I figured I'd get myself one. Maybe then I'll understand how to make a perfect pitch for my manuscript - and at the same time, create one for my business!

1 comment:

C.R. Evers said...

Do you still have Sarah Shumways notes on pitches from the retreat? But her stuff sounds like the 25 word or less elevator thing you said isn't really a pitch. Please tell me it ain't so. I've worked on what I thought was a pitch based on her info. I even won a pitch contest!

Have I been led astray!!!!??? Eek!

when you figure out what a pitch is . . . please let me know. Yikes!

Christy