Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas Surprise

The boys have been home from college since Monday (today's Wednesday.) The house has become strewn with stuff. Their stuff. It's hard to move with the clutter. The Christmas decorations remain in the attic. The boys wander around town. And the 25th is in a week.

I love my boys. But sometimes...OK, so this afternoon I blew up - just a little. I'm sure Jimmy was kidding when he said everyone around him reacted to my yelling at him over the phone. And Tom was screwing the Superman plate onto the front of the truck.

So I headed out to run some errands. Which I still haven't gotten done because of the phone call.

"Mom?"

"Yes, Tom."

"I put my foot through the ceiling."

"What?"

"I was up in the attic and slipped. My leg went through the ceiling at the top of the stairs."

"You OK?"

"Yup."

Silence.

I grinned, imagining his incredibly long leg sticking through the ceiling.

I cringed, thinking of the mess that needs to get cleaned up.

I groaned at the amount of work to repair the hole, then repaint the entire ceiling!

After rushing home to grab my camera, Tom displayed his work of art. Then out came the vacuum and the cleaning commenced.

Tom tried to surprise me by getting the decorations down by himself. All I can say is, I'm surprised!

I gave him a huge hug.

3 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

awwwww! That's such a sweet story! Funny too. Sorry about the ceiling damage, but what a sweet son you have! :0)

And what a great story you'll have to tell that will never never never be left out of any family gathering from here until eternity. ;0D

Anonymous said...

There are memorable Christmases and there are... What some people have to go though to create one! (only kidding) I hope you didn't have to spend your entire Christmas vacation cleaning up and repairing.

Merry Christmas!

Hannah said...

Absolutely hilarious. Sorry to hear you'll have to repair it but it certainly made for a fun story. Great pics!!

Best,
Hannah