Friday, July 4, 2008

Just a Tiny Taste

Today is July 4th and the house is quiet. Jim is off as a councilor at a youth camp this week. Tom left for the beach last night. Ed is at work. The cats and dogs are napping.

This is the first time the boys won't be home for the 4th. It hit me hard last night and made me realize that being an empty-nester isn't all fun and games. Like all the food we bought for a forth of July BBQ - when there's only two of us. All the research into train tickets to head up north - only the boys are gone and can't go on the trip.

This is only the beginning of a lifetime of changes. Whew! I don't think I'm going to like it as much as I thought I would.

Distractions. I need distractions. Way too hot to go horseback riding - or even grooming. Perhaps later in the evening when it cools down a little.

Distractions. I've already worked on my novel at Bonnie's house this morning. That helped a lot. Saw a red-shoulder hawk hanging around her garden. That was way kool!

Distractions. Yikes, I could clean or do laundry but that's like admitting defeat! I just CAN'T do that! It's a day to play and have fun!!!

Yard work? Too hot. Curves? It's closed. TV? Boring. Shop? No money. Read? Sure, if I don't fall asleep.

Gosh, I'm sounding like my eldest son - "Mom, I'm bored. There's nothing to do." Guess it runs in the family. :^))

Oh well, maybe I'll create a flyer for a yard sale my Civitan group is having on the 19th. Creativity. I like it.

What did you do on your July 4th?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you on the Empty Nest thoughts. I thought I would really love it too....but kids are almost always gone already and I'm not sure I can handle it either. I have my baby....(Tessa - 1 year old Shi Poo) she was my empty nest present to myself. I do say I am not missing having to cook as much. But now that Evan has decided to go to Fo Tech this first year, (I said a quite "YAHOO".) But I didn't see him very much during his senior year so I am sure I will probalby see him even less this year. The worse part is like you said....my house is ALWAYS full of kids and that is going to be hard to give up. But luckily all of his close friends are going to Fo Tech, so maybe I will have a little while longer to enjoy it. But hey we can do it and at least you have ED.... to help... I just have my puppy....lol So if you know of anyone that might like to spend time with a short, fat middle age lady.... I am availalbe. lol Hang in there.