Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Many Thanks!!

I work part-time as a Church Secretary (my boss keeps saying I'm an Administrative Assistant - but I'm way past worrying about titles anymore). I had to run to the church to pick up the attendence pads so I could mark who was at church this past Sunday. (I wasn't there - I was at the retreat! HA HA)

Anyway, I returned to my office, and sitting smack in the middle of my desk was a humongous cut flower arrangement! The air smelled so sweet and the vase contained so many varieties of flowers I couldn't even count them all. I was totally surprised. I phoned the florist to find out who sent it and she just laughed - right over the phone and in my face! She told me it was Adminstrative Assistant week (aka Secretary's week). Aha! The light went off in my tiny little brain. I get it now.

So I phone my boss and thank him as profusely as I'm able. Then I get back to my attendance figures. Knock. Knock. In pops the head of the Staff-Parish-Relations team and he presents me with a card and a gift certificate to Applebees. I got to tell you, I actually teared up. No one has ever given me gifts just for doing my job. Well, after I got over the sweetness of the present, he had me do some work for him. (shrug) That's what I was there for anyway.

Today, another person dropped by the office and presented me with yet another gift, a little flag for my mailbox flag holder. It's so adorable with the sewn on buttons and such. And yes, I started to tear up a little again. What's with this? Must be my age or something. I never used to show my emotions like this. Yeah, that's it. Must be my age.

Sigh. I guess when tomorrow comes I'll feel a little sad because there will be no more gifts. But that's OK. I'm smiling as I type this little diddy and feel good about the people I interact with. All because they stopped by to say "Thanks."

I hope all you out there have a wonderful Secretary's Day/Week. I sure did!

1 comment:

The Winding Ascent said...

Wow, Maggie, dejas-vu on the blog. Go look at mine. Same template! BTW, very jealous that you got to go to the retreat! I'm heading to the chapter book/historical fiction shindig in May.

http://creativepowerhouse.blogspot.com

--Megan from SCBWIC