Tuesday, April 22, 2008

More Retreat PIctures

I thought people would be interested in seeing more pictures from the fabulous retreat this past weekend.

OK, I need help. Does anyone know how to clear off the desk so you can focus on writing? I mean, working on my novel, not just writing this blog. I"m having a very difficult time focusing on what I need to work on. While my mind is buzzing, I'm distracted by household chores, work, and my messy desk. Oh, and the sheets need washing as well.

I'm thinking of doing some book reviews, for all kinds of books. But hopefully, mostly within my genre, which is science-fiction and fantasy. Would anyone be interested in my humble opinions about that? (shrug)

BTW, I'm due a chapter from Betsy Kennihan, so if anyone sees her, please remind her that the 25th is going to come really fast and she'd best be working on her chapter.

There were absolutly wonderful pieces read on Saturday night. My story seemed so trite compared to what others have created. WOW! Way to go everyone. So I chickened out and didn't read anything. I know I should have shared something, but skimming through my material left me blank.

Oh, and I just know all of you are so very interested in how my foot is healing. It's going very well and I'm hoping to be able to ride my horse by the end of the week.








6 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

Great pictures Maggie! I enjoyed seeing you again at the retreat! I"m sure I'll see you again at the Fall conference! Good luck with your work!

I'll link your blog to my blog!

Christy Evers

Maggie said...

I wish we all lived closer so we could meet more often.

Thanks for the link. :^))

Janelle said...

Maggie, shame on you for not reading when you had something prepared! I'm sure your story would have inspired us all! Thanks for sharing your photos! See you in September! (Perhaps you'll be reading to us there??) : )

Carol Baldwin said...

Maggie,
I suffer from the same, "How do I focus on just one thing?" syndrome. It really helped me just to say to myself, "I'm just focusing on my new edition right now." (It helps to have a deadline too :) . But as you can see, I'm off of that focus and now commenting on your blog, but hope that helps you too. I know that messy desks and laundry and dinner are life too..but try to focus on what you really need to work on NOW! Carol Baldwin www.carolbaldwinblog.blogspot.com

Maria Nolletti Ross said...

Thanks for the photos and info about the retreat, Maggie. I'm sorry I missed out, but YA is not my thing right now. In answer to your question, you could leave your household responsiblities behind and do your writing elsewhere. You could write during the same time slot every day no matter what. Or you could let your muse do it's thing. If you have to write - write. The sheets will wait, dinner will be sandwiches, and you'll pay the bills later when you are done.

My problem is that there is no room for the muse. My brain is filled up with too much mom stuff. For example, my 12-ear- old son came home on the bus yesterday because his after school activity was canceled and I was at my daughter's dance class. He left his key in the front door lock. It was there all night. Found it this morning. How can I be writing stories if my brain constantly has to stay on top of these ridiculous things he might do? Now when he calls to say he's home, I have to say, "Eat the snack I left for you, start your homework and TAKE YOUR KEY OUT OF THE FRONT DOOR LOCK!!!"

I need my muse to help me come up with creative ways to help him use his common sense. I'm really looking forward to the time when I don't have to tell him to "tie his shoes" and instead can say, "Please get dinner started while I finish this last chapter."

And yes, I know that this event could end up in one of my stories some day, IF we all survive.

See you at the Fall Conference!

BetsyK said...

The 25th? The 25th?? Yikes! Gotta go, gotta get back to writing!

Betsy

PS Maggie does this mean I'll be seeing a chapter from you on May 1?