Saturday, June 7, 2008

Graduation Day

My youngest son graduated high school today. It was a of day mixed emotions - happy, sad, scared, elated, contented... for Jim. For me it was a day of errands, family, preparing camera batteries, and trying not to feel.

It began innocuously enough, eating humongous pastries bought by my parents who are visiting for the occasion. Then snacking throughout the day as Jim packed for his week-long trip to Myrtle beach with his friends. It's the typical Senior Graduation Trip and I dread it.

We iron his National Honor Society sash that he'll wear over his black gown - finish washing his new black gabardine pants and shirt - load charged batteries into cameras and those fans with the water misters.

Jim needed to be at the high school by 6 pm. The temperature was close to 100 in the shade - and our seats were in the sun. The Senior boys had to wear ties and long pants, while the girls wore dresses. A tad unfair in this heat wave.

We arrived around 6:45pm. Sun blazing, pomp and circumstance played by the band members sweltering in the heat, graduates dressed in their black caps and gowns, family and friends hiding under umbrellas to block the sun. I suddenly realize the fans with the water misters were left on the kitchen counter.

Tears fill my eyes on a few occasions during the ceremony. I'm proud of my son and all he's accomplished. I'm sad he's finished living at home. He's excited about his new life and I don't blame him. But I'll miss him.

For Jim, there is much to explore, much to experiment, much to live. May you live a long, healthy and happy life, Jim. I shall miss the boy I used to know. I am pleased to meet the young man before me. And I'm excited to grow with the man you're going to become.








Congratulations, Jim. We love you.










ps. Notice I didn't call you "my baby?"

No comments: