Friday, June 20, 2008

What Happened to My Writing?

My day was completely planned. My writing buddy, Bonnie, had appointments and couldn't meet with me again (two weeks in a row!). So I decided to help myself and schedule my day. It began early with the buzzer awakening me to rise and head to the stables to meet a friend of mine. We rode the trails before the heat and flies became overwhelming for both us and our horses. Plus, it allowed me to return home before all the motorcycles began swarming the local drag strip.

Just so you know, there's a "Smoke Out" biker rally this weekend and they anticipate between 7,000-10,000 bikers zooming down our quaint country roads with radios blasting and mufflers booming. My county is a dry county - what this means is there are no alcohol sales within the county lines with only a couple of exceptions. Wal-Mart is one of the exceptions where you can purchase beer and wine. The drag strip people (I'm guessing) sent to all the bikers, directions on how to get to the "nearest" liquor store (Wal-Mart). Now, can you imagine how many bikers will be sober while driving the roads??? Oh, and the county's spending $60,000 on extra police protection patrolling the roads etc. And yet the county won't pay for a new high school???? Don't get me started!

Anyway, back to my day. The ride was wonderful and completely relaxing. While I was sitting in the car all sweaty and dirty, I decided to hit Curves (30-minutes exercise place) and then home to work on my novel. Bonnie would be so proud. But that's not what happened.

A client emailed me changes to a website. Then we talked on the phone, after which I worked on his project until I had created a revised layout for his approval.

It was suddenly 4 pm. The sheets! I forgot to get the sheets laundered. So hustling and hugging the dirty cotton against my chest, I stuffed the washer with the stinky mess and sighed.

OK. There's still time to write.

The boys come home. Tom falls asleep on the sofa and Jim stays long enough to say HI, and to NOT get his clothes out of the dryer as he runs out again to play volleyball.

Ed leaves work early and is home by 5:15, wandering around the house looking for dinner.

Tomorrow? Will I be able to write tomorrow??

No comments: