Saturday, May 10, 2008

The Challenge - Day 2 (Tornado Pics)

DAY 1 (yes, I started over):
Well, I didn't quite make 15 minutes writing today. Fortunately, I was prompted by my fellow writers to work on a chapter of my novel just so I could submit it for their review. Our critique group meets every other week just to keep us (me) on our toes and cranking out at least one chapter. It works unusually well. So I did a little editing on chapter 16 of Dragon Tears (children's middle grade fiction), then popped it off on a trip through cyberspace in an email. Now I really need to get working because I'm only partially finished with chapter 17 and I'll need to charge ahead with both creative and editorial juices surging through my veins. HA.

BONNIE! No more Friday morning doctor's appointments - I need you to help with my lack of self-discipline! Are we on for writing next week???

OK, back to the tornado. The power returned around 9 pm last evening, way ahead of schedule. You should have seen the Duke Energy people work. There were at least 10 heavy duty trucks working on the six power lines that had been ripped apart by trees and winds. And while the traffic became a tad snarled as they hauled the lines across the highway and hoisted them to the top of the power poles, it was tolerable.

They opened up Underpass, where a house was destroyed. I haven't been back to snap a picture of it yet as time hasn't permitted. When I played voyeur on Friday morning and had pulled over to the side of the road to take what pictures I could, a county sheriff (young AND cute) pulled along side and asked "What are you doing here?" "Taking pictures." Then I smiled remembering I'm an old chubby lady in glasses. "Best move on then." He waiting until I pulled away before he moved.
Dang.
I'm acting pretty glib about this because no one was really hurt. Only material things were damaged. (And none of mine were.)
Can you see the stairs that lead nowhere?

No comments: