Sunday, May 11, 2008

I'm a Happy Mother!

Today began differently than any other Mother's Day. It's been 19 years I've been a Mother.

Today I did not get my usual breakfast in bed. They boys slept hard, all wrapped in their sheets. My husband was kind enough to let me sleep late when he couldn't arouse the boys. Yeah for hubby! :^))

Then I couldn't sleep anymore. My back crunched and grinded whenever I moved. Time to get up. After a quick shower, I checked on the boys who were still out cold. Teenagers. 10:30 am is way to early for them to consider placing their feet on the floor.

Ed (hubby) has made me coffee. :^))

I searched for news articles to send to http://www.breastcancer.org/, a website I'm proud to be a member of. (oops, dangling participle).

It's now 11:30 am. Still no movement from the boys.

At noon Tom stumbled into my office. "Happy Mother's Day." He hugs (feels wonderful) then said "How come you didn't wake me for church?"

I laugh.

It's time to jump onto Jimmy's bed and yell "Happy Mother's Day!" He grabs me for a hug (feels terrific).

I return to my office and continue my web-surfing for more news articles.

The hall closet opens then shuts as they dig out wrapping paper (I can hear everything that's going on.) Then the heavy footed trot down the stairs. Finally Ed appears and requests my presence in the family room.

It's time. I smile, wondering what they have in store for me.

After settling comfortably between my two little boys (who are now both taller and smarter than I), they hand me a box.

Humm, not the typical gift of flowers, or candles, or books. I gently shake it. No noise. I slowly peel the tape from the edges of the wrapping paper, drawing this out as slowly as possible, like my grandpa Banta used to do. Finally, unfolding one layer at a time, the box is revealed.

A digital photo frame. I plugged it in. Turned it on. It was loaded with images of my boys and covered their activities over the past year! Some were fantastic images, some made me laugh, and one or two made me cringe. But I saw parts of their lives I never knew about.

What a thoughtful gift. I'm glad today's Mother's Day is different than the others. My boys are growing up and becoming wonderful young men.

I am so very lucky. I am so very proud.

I love you boys.


2 comments:

C.R. Evers said...

awwww! what a thoughful gift! You hae very sweet boys! I'm glad you had such a wonderful Mother's day.

Christy

Maggie said...

Do you have a wonderful pampered day? Whether you mothered others or yourself???