Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Giving Up the Challange

I don't feel like working today. My thumb hurts where one of my cats clawed it thinking I was bringing him grass to eat. It's hard to type cause I keep hitting the gouge next to my thumbnail.

Plus the birds are making a racket outside my window which makes me want to head outside and lay in a hammock to read/nap.

And a fruit fly (or something) keeps buzzing around my nose and eyes making me afraid my next inhale will include extra protein.

Lastly, I've decided I need to give up on the writing challenge. I haven't touched my story (or any story) in several days and I can't keep starting the challenge over and over, can I? It's not that I'm unmotivated, which I am, but it's all the other distractions in life. The prom my youngest son is attending this coming Saturday. His graduation from high school in two weeks. The family coming to visit (yeah!!) and all the housecleaning that needs to be done (boo).

Oh, I have to tell you that all insurance companies are alike. Whether they're health or homeowners or property liability. I think they all operate the same way. You remember that a tornado touched down here a couple of weeks ago and my church suffered some roof damage. We finally get the "Statement of Loss" from our insurance adjuster, and on the quote he includes line items that reads: "less 70% depreciation". We're all running around like headless chickens when I decide to phone the insurance company. The representative (a very nice woman) told me not to worry about that line because the insurance company will pay the entire amount.

So why put that line item in there? I'm guessing so the people who DON'T call in will accept the lesser amount. The same thing happened to me when I was undergoing cancer treatment. The health insurance company seemed to spin a wheel to determine what item du jour they wouldn't cover. Unless you called them, you didn't get coverage. How many millions of dollars are bilked out of people like you and me because we're too busy working to call and wait 20 minutes for a representative to pick up and clear up our "misunderstanding?"

Oh oh. I think I stepped on one of my soap boxes. Sorry. But that's just how it is. Some days are warm and fuzzy while other days just suck.

No comments: